Overview Publications of Social Science Works
Since 2016, those affiliated with Social Science Works have published a large number of articles and reports. Long and short articles, detached or polemical, very thorough or more associative, but always written in a way that can be understood by a wider audience. Some articles have appeared only in English, or only in German, some in both languages. The German articles can be found on the German pages of this website. The topics cover the themes central to Social Science Works’ activities: democracy, deliberation, populism, social cohesion, migration and integration, social criticism, science criticism and Usable Knowledge. To make the articles easier to find, they have been divided into categories. Since the categories naturally overlap, some articles can be found in multiple places. The following categories have been created.
- Democratic Theory: empirically based theoretical articles on democracy, deliberation, pluralism, radicalization, extremism.
- Project and Research Reports: articles about the projects and research we have carried out. Each project always has a research component as well, and also aims to generate general insights into the theme in question. Articles on all other themes can therefore also be found here.
- Articles on populism: the overlap with democratic theory, among others, is obvious. Nevertheless, a separate category has been created because the articles in question explicitly address the populist movements that can be observed over the past decade in almost the entire Western world.
- Science Criticism: articles that critically examine existing practices in academia and science.
- Social Criticism: explicitly socially critical articles, a category with considerable overlap with populism.
- Refugees and integration: articles that are often unrelated to the projects we have implemented in this field.
- Urban Sociology and Tourism: integration, social cohesion and development, as well as socially and ethically responsible tourism are close to our hearts.
- Finally, in order not to miss a single article by your favorite author, the articles are also listed by author.
In addition to these articles, a large number of interviews with refugees have been published. These can be found here. The interviews are a part of a larger project in which we researched the backgrounds, living conditions and prospects of refugees staying in a district of Brandenburg. This research brought forward the book Migration Politics on the Run, published in German in November 2023 by Transcript Publishers. Information about the book and the research can be found here.
Last but not least, we are creating podcasts. A series of podcasts with Zak Reimer and Hans Blokland on the central themes in the work of Social Science Works is here. In addition, a series of Podcasts created by Zak Reimer with representatives of organizations working to integrate refugees is here.